I knew they were oddly shaped and I really should discard them, but you know how some of us just don’t want to throw anything away, especially after we have sewn it together.
So, I decided to sew these little guys to a strip of neutral background fabric from my stash. This background fabric is really scraps from the backing for a large quilt I long arm quilted.
Then I marked a 6 inch rotary cutting ruler with blue painters’ tape so that I could easily trim a consistent half-square triangle.
Actually, I had a design in mind that required 192 of the hst units, so I threw caution to the wind and made 200!
I took the hst’s to my Monday quilting group and arranged them on my work table.
I sewed the quarters together, added a 1/2 inch inner red border and a darker 3 inch outer border.
I especially like the way the center looks.